[ | Next | Previous | Up ]

Re: PWL & Pay Factor Tables

Date: 30 Nov 1998
Time: 14:56:32
Remote Name: 141.114.130.70

Comments

1) Yes, contractors 2) The individual units are lots of material, say 6000 tons of asphalt pavement, or 150 cubic yards of concrete. 3) Most of the limits are two sided. A couple of criteria are one-sided, having only a specified minimum. 4) In most cases, the unit is percent. % asphalt content, %passing a certain sieve size, % air voids, % air in concrete. PSI for concrete strength is another unit we use. 5) The population is a lot of material, as mentioned before. 6) The tables we use are used by many agencies. I know they are used by Federal Highway Administration in their FP-92 spec. The PWL table is also used by the FAA in their pavement spec. The PWL table was taken from a percent defective table developed in Mil Spec 414, but I am not certain where the Pay Factor table originated. The tables can be seen at our web site at www.state.me.us/mdot/planning/research/106.htm. Some of the formulas on the page are garbled due to formatting problems, but they are basic statistical formulas such as standard deviation and percent within limits, I believe the tables are legible.

Last changed: November 20, 2007